NC Workers’ Compensation
 changing your doctor


Changing Your Doctor in a Workers’ Comp Claim

In North Carolina, your employer has to pay for your medical treatment if you are injured at work. However, generally they also get to choose your physician and direct your medical care. It is very important to try to get along with your doctor and show up on time for all of your appointments. You should fill your prescriptions and take your medications exactly as prescribed. When talking to your doctor, never exaggerate your problems, but be sure to thoroughly describe all of your symptoms.

If you have a major conflict with the doctor you have been assigned or you feel there is some need for additional or different medical treatment, you must obtain the approval of the workers' compensation carrier before you change doctors. If the workers’ comp adjuster is unreasonable and refuses, we can help you file a Motion for Change of Physician with the NC Industrial Commission. The Industrial Commission has the last word as to what treatment you receive and you will likely need an attorney to help with this filing.

Legal Help With Your Workers’ Comp Claim

We have experience in filing a Motion for Change of Physician for our clients. If you have questions about changing your doctor during your workers’ compensation claim or feel you should be receiving different medical treatment, contact the workers’ compensation lawyers at Hemmings & Stevens, PLLC. We offer an initial consultation at no charge and work on a contingent fee basis, which means there are no fees unless we make a recovery for you. You can call us at 919.277.0161 or contact us online.


Hemmings & Stevens Workers' Compensation Law Blog
North Carolina Advocates For Justice